The 8th Dr. M.S. Swaminathan Award for leadership in agriculture was given to Dr. Thomas A. Lumpkin, Former Director General, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT), Mexico on 28th September, 2015 by Dr. M.S. Swaminathan, Chairman, M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, for outstanding contributions made towards sustainable foodgrain production. This award has been instituted by the Trust for Advancement of Agricultural Sciences (TAAS). It is given to eminent scientists whose seminal contributions have made significant impact on the lives of common man.
The previous recipients of the Award are :
- First - Dr. Norman E. Borlaug, Nobel Laureate and the Father of the Green Revolution
- Second - Dr. Gurdev S. Khush, World Food Laureate
- Third - Dr. Surinder K. Vasal, World Food Laureate and renowned maize scientist
- Fourth - Prof. Rattan Lal of Ohio State University, a world renowned authority on carbon sequestration
- Fifth - Dr. Sanjay Rajaram, former Director, Wheat Program, CIMMYT
- Sixth - Dr. M.C. Saxena, an eminent Agronomist, who headed the crop improvement and lentil research program at ICARDA, Syria
- Seventh - Dr. William D. Dar, Director General, International Crop Research Institute for Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
Dignitaries Sitting on the Dais
The Chief Guest of the function was Dr M S Swaminathan, Founder Chairman, M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation. Dr. S. Ayyappan, Director General, ICAR and Secretary, DARE was the Guest of Honour, whereas the function was presided over by Dr. R.S. Paroda, Chairman, TAAS.
Dr. R.S. Paroda welcoming Dr. Thomas A. Lumpkin
Dr. T. Mohapatra, Director, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) welcomed the participants.
The Award Citation was read over by Dr P.L. Gautam, Vice-Chairman, TAAS.
The Award trophy was then presented to Dr. Lumpkin by the Chief Guest, Dr. M.S. Swaminathan. After receiving the Award Dr. Lumpkin in his response said that he felt honored to receive this Award. Dr. Lumpkin delivered the 9th TAAS Foundation Day Lecture on the topic `21st Century Challenges and Research Opportunities for Sustainable Maize and Wheat Production’.
Dr. Lumpkin delivering the 9th TAAS Foundation Day Lecture
Dr. M.S. Swaminathan while addressing the gathering lauded the achievements of Dr. Lumpkin and congratulated him for this unique achievement.
Dr. M.S. Swaminathan addressing the Audience
Dignatories Addressing the Audience
Dr Martin Kropff, DG, CIMMYT; Dr. S. Ayyappan, DG (ICAR) & Secretary (DARE); Dr Adrian Johnston, VP, IPNI; Ms. Usha Zehr of Mahyco Research Foundation;; Shri Satish Chander, DG, Fertiliser Association of India (FAI); and Dr. R.S. Paroda, Chairman, TAAS also offered their remarks and congratulated Dr. Lumpkin.
On the occasion, a publication brought out by the Trust for Advancement of Agricultural Sciences (TAAS) titled “Building Trust: The Journey of TAAS, 2001 – 2015” was also released.
The Function ended by vote of thanks by Dr. P.L. Gautam, Vice-Chairman, TAAS.